Facebook Forum » PP Media Articles

• Cyndy

Cyndy Monterey, CA

http://reno.metromix.com/events/article/americas-got-talent-hits/2216862/content 'America's Got Talent' hits the Road | Metromix Reno reno.metromix.com Winners, finalists like Prince Poppycock here Saturday over a year ago • Report • Joy Manuel Hi again, Please put any Media articles that you find here. This way they will not get lost in the shuffle. :-) Thank you Joy over a year ago • Report • Diana Rodriguez-Zimmerer that's a great article!! over a year ago • Report • Joy Manuel Review: America’s Got Talent Live Opening Night http://alisongolden.com/americas-got-talent-live-opening-night over a year ago • Report • Diana Rodriguez-Zimmerer That reporter must have been some kind of stuffed right winger - saying the crowd was scary. We were not scary - we were enthusiastic! Who wants a stuffed up audience that doesn't express their love for the performers?! Trust me the performers want to be cheered on. Keep showing your love Poppies! over a year ago • Report • Joy Manuel 'America's Got Talent' breaks from canned idols Monday, October 4, 2010 http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=%2Fc%2Fa%2F2010%2F10%2F03%2FDDQ21FN8AV.DTL over a year ago • Report • Tiffany Rock The SF Gate article above is worth it just for this: "He may get a different reception in Grand Prairie, Texas, next week, BUT THERE WAS NO DOUBT FROM THE STANDING OVATIONS WHO WAS FILLING THE SEATS IN OAKLAND." (Emphasis mine.) over a year ago • Report • Diane Schreiner «{ .SCENT of IRISE S. }» - http://scent-of-irises.blogspot.com/ Maybe it will work this time. over a year ago • Report • Tiffany Rock "America's Got Talent Tour Comes to Phoenix": http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/events/articles/2010/10/04/20101004americas-got-talent-tour-comes-phoenix.html It's basically all about the Prince (who also gets a nice picture) and Fighting Gravity. over a year ago • Report • Joy Manuel Thanks Tiffany, Great article. Poppy always gets good write-ups. :-) over a year ago • Report • Sarina Mizutani ookey... i know this is off topic, but the song 'i pop for poppycock' meant in a dirty way or...? over a year ago • Report • Karen Walters http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/realityrocks/399173/wanna-be-prince-poppycock-for-halloween/ over a year ago • Report • Joy Manuel Karen thanks for posting that. :-) over a year ago • Report • Joy Manuel Here is another one that was posted... Just trying to keep up. :-) The future of Prince Poppycock http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-in-los-angeles/the-future-of-prince-poppycock over a year ago • Report • Karen Walters joy, i found this on 'official', so i added it here too. your post is vEry good! five parts filled with john's voice, (audio only vids) revealing even more of his personality and interesting facts about many things poppycock! ♥ patrick posted all five parts moments ago on his page, and i'm floating in poppiness after hearing all our prince had to say!! over a year ago • Report • Teresa Mac The article Joy posted comes with an interview in 5 parts -- so worth listening to: http://www.youtube.com/user/PCPassionistas#p/u/4/PSWoT8as-KI Part 1: Creation of his Largo al Factotum act Part 2: Make-up challenges and secrets Part 3: His electronic music project and the dark side of John Quale Part 4: Upcoming projects, including planning a Vegas revue Part 5: His Facebook fans over a year ago • Report • Diana Rodriguez-Zimmerer It is really worth listening to! I listened at work. loved it! over a year ago • Report • Clarissa Aguilar "Shoppers have visited George and Company in the Eastern Hills Mall in Clarence for elements of a Prince Poppycock costume, says Karen Noe, store manager. Poppycock, a brightly costumed operatic baroque dandy, placed fourth in this season of “America’s Got Talent.” Noe says, “I have the big Marie Antoinette wigs and the white-faced makeup” for the character." http://www.ladygagafashion.net/shes-our-boo-ghosts-goblins-give-way-to-gaga-buffalo-news/ over a year ago • Report • Sandie Dapoz Prince Poppycock to be crowned mayor of West Hollywood Halloween Carneval! http://www.weho.org//index.aspx?page=23&recordid=444 over a year ago • Report • Sandie Dapoz PRINCE POPPYCOCK TIMES SQUARE: PRESS RELEASE: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/a-knight-in-shining-latex-prince-poppycock-ends-his-spectacular-run-on-americas-got-talent-in-rubber-from-syren-couture-and-armor-from-michael-schmidt-studios-103085234.html over a year ago • Report • Sandie Dapoz Photo of Poppycock in Times Square! http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1563378197339&set=t.122650284439330 over a year ago • Report • Diane Schreiner Diane Thank-you Ron Allison, this is beautiful...... Prince Poppycock All 7 Performances America's Got Talent HD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFlZC1G7urs Complete All 7 AGT Performances - La Donna e Mobile - Largo al Factotum - Vesti La Guibba - Bohemian Rhapsody - Yankee Doodle Dandy - Nessun Dorma - Final - No Buzzer - Donna Summer in HD This is here so everyone can view all his agt songs at once. over a year ago • Report • Joy Manuel Great job Ladies, I love reading all of these. :-) over a year ago • Report • Diane Schreiner America’s Got Talent’ coming to Cobb Energy Centre Nov. 6; we talk to Prince Poppycock 8:00 am October 29, 2010, by Rodney Ho Viewers of NBC’s popular summer reality series “America’s Got Talent” over the years seem to prefer good old-fashioned singers, no matter how many wacky knife swallowers and magic acts the producers throw out there. Within the singer category, they absolutely adore pop-opera acts. The 2008 winner was an opera singer. Last year, the runner-up was an opera singer. This past summer, two operatic performers landed in the top four. One, 10-year-old Jackie Evancho, is a young prodigy with angelic vocal skills. (She unfortunately won’t be at the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center show Saturday featuring the top 10 acts. Given her age, her parents wanted her to spend less time on the road.) But the other finalist, Prince Poppycock, went further than many people expected. Played by John Quale, an openly gay performing artist, the flamboyant character is a dandy who dons 18th century wigs and outfits and sings operettas with infectious fun, bravado and grace. “I used to do my act for 20 somethings in Los Angeles,” said Quale in an interview earlier this month. “Now I’m doing it for blue-haired ladies in the Midwest who just love the act. They’ve been incredibly supportive. I wasn’t expecting that.” On the tour, he’s been performing two six-minute acts: an extended version of Figaro’s aria from “The Barber of Seville” he did in his original “Talent” audition and Queen’s ”Bohemian Rhapsody” - minus the not-so-family-friendly line about killing a man. Prince Poppycock, which Quale developed in 2006, has an entire back story: ”He is not from this world. He’s from another dimension. He’s kicked out of court by his arch-nemesis Baron Nefarious. Marauding space pirates pick him up and he learns to be a man, not a self-indulgent vain party boy.” Quale did not intend to audition. His boyfriend signed him up. And he didn’t have expectations of getting far. “I had no idea how it would play out,” he said. “I felt like in the end, I bucked the trend. I’ve been more of an underground performance artist.” To be more mainstream, he said he’s had to cut out the bawdier jokes but “given the resources at my disposal, I can fully realize my vision more.” During the tour, he’s also been able to expound for a few moments about acceptance. And he credits show host Jerry Springer for allowing him to do that. “I wanted him to do that,” said Springer in a separate phone interview. “He has a wonderful message. It’d be a waste just to laugh at his act and not realize it’s the tears of a clown.” “I was a victim of hazing and bullying and homophobia growing up,” Quale said, in Virginia and Massachusetts. “It’s very relevant to what’s going on now,” Springer added, alluding to some high-profile anti-gay crimes hitting the news recently. After the tour, Quale hopes to create his own Vegas-style revue act with costume changes, props and a blend of classical and pop-rock music. “I’m not going to talk about my sexuality in any of my performances,” he said. “I don’t think I ever will. I think it’s pretty obvious I’m a homosexual. I’ve never hidden that.” about 12 months ago • Report • Diane Schreiner More on Prince Poppycocks' future; Prince Poppycock's 'Whirlwind' Rise to Fame Leads to This: Mayor ... PopEater Yep, Poppycock -- real name, John Andrew Quale -- who won the hearts of ... for the oh-so-talented Prince Poppycock is "a Vegas residency -- 'The Poppycock ... about 12 months ago • Report • Sandie Dapoz Wigging Out: John Quale, a.k.a 'Prince Poppycock,' at DAR Constitution HallS 11.3.10 John Quale expected to don geisha makeup and a powdered wig only once, as a favor to a friend with a Los Angeles performance group called Wig Out. The Washington, D.C., native never guessed that the stage persona Prince Poppycock would become a cult favorite of millions of viewers on NBC's "America's Got Talent" this summer — or that those viewers would help him become one of the season's four finalists. "[I saw] something that I literally thought was just for a certain demographic and realized that it had a much broader appeal — as long as I stopped taking off my clothes and telling naughty jokes," Quale said while on tour with "America's Got Talent," which stops at DAR Constitution Hall Thursday. Ahead of the show, Quale spoke to Express about Poppycock, opera and why he got involved with Dan Savage's "It Gets Better" online video project for LGBT youth. Prince Poppycock blends rock and opera. How did your opera training help shape your performances? I think [opera probably taught me] dedication and just the amount of work and focus that's required to make [performing] look effortless. How do you think being a finalist on "America's Got Talent" has affected your career? The judges were obviously very nice to me, but it's pretty unfair how in the rules we're treated as contestants, not performers. ... But it's definitely been absolutely amazing because it's millions and millions of dollars worth of free advertising. How did you get involved with Dan Savage's "It Gets Better" project? I was fairly depressed and suicidal for a good 10 years, from about 12 to 22, and I understand what it's like to see suicide as a viable option. ... But I also know that I just want to spread the news to [gay] kids that ... we can control our own future and create our own destinies. » DAR Constitution Hall, 1776 D St. NW; Thu., 7:30 p.m., $49.85-$112.90; 202-628-4780 . (Farragut North) Written by Express contributor Roxana Hadadi about 12 months ago • Report • Sandie Dapoz from www.expressnightout.com about 12 months ago • Report • Diane Schreiner Good article about our HRN....... Where is Prince Poppycock After America's Got Talent? Prince Poppycock is a character created by John Andrew Quale. John grew up in Virginia on a farm where he loved riding horses. He sang all the time and was a member of many choirs as a child. He first performed with one of his choirs at ... Suite101: Celebrities/Pop Culture... - http://www.suite101.com/celebrities about 12 months ago • Report • Teresa Mac From a DC publication: America's Got Talent tour celebrates the afterlife, not Plan B November 5, 2010 - 12:07 PM By Ryan Kearney (Twitter @rkearney) Prince Poppycock, in all his glory and innuendo. (Photo: TBD Staff) The America's Got Talent tour must be a hot ticket — or its promoter had zero interest in media coverage — because I had an easier time getting a meeting with the Dalai Lama in 2003 than I did getting into last night's show at DAR Constitution Hall. Were it not for a family friend who happened to give birth to Great Falls native Prince Poppycock, I would have been deprived of all of the unbridled patriotism and religiosity and manufactured fog that the night, so loud and brightly lit, had to offer. The audience was America itself — that is, if there were no 15-to-35-year-olds in America, and if the country were entirely white. So maybe it was only the America seen in certain political ads and laundry detergent commercials. But now, at least, I know who watches America's Got Talent, the NBC show that embodies the most American of American dreams: that anyone in this country can rise from obscurity to fame, however briefly. Of course, only a few of us ever will, and only one can win the $1 million grand prize, which (fine print alert!) amounts to a lump sum of around $375,000. Most of us will fail, and we will be laughed at on national TV for having failed, and thus we'll feel more dejected for ever having tried in the first place. But last night was not a time for cynicism. It was a celebration of moderate success, of dreams coming true (only if you work hard), and of belief in a higher power. Christina & Ali, one of the evening's 10 acts, are sweet Mormon sisters with a truly heartbreaking story: Ages 20 and 13, they both have cystic fibrosis, a disease from which their older sister died last year. Together they sang a song called "Temporary Home," about how Earth is just that — a place through which we all pass on our way to somewhere greater. Even an atheist like me can understand why they'd feel that way. So that was kind of sad. Good thing the night's master of ceremonies, Jerry Springer, was there to cheer us up. Playing the stand-up comedian, he made a joke about how America's got talent but, apparently, doesn't have any decent judges (AGT judge Howie Mandel is Canadian, and the other two, Piers Morgan and Sharon Osbourne, are British). At another point, he said, "I've been doing my show for 20 years, and I'm sorry. There's no excuse for that." By the end, when Springer began singing Elvis — "Just Call Me Lonesome," I believe — the middle-aged women around me shouted "Give him the hook!" One of them even said, "I hate that guy, I really do." But the acts, the acts! Two kids whirled about like Olympic Russian dancers. Taylor Mathews looked and sang exactly how a teenager named Taylor Mathews should look and sing. A magician performed magic that relied visibly on not-so-magical mirrors. Bluesman Michael Grimm, this season's winner, sounded like he'd smoked a carton of reds since breakfast. A 10-year-old dressed like a 40-year-old sang opera amidst a sea of stage fog. A guy hopped around on his bike, but couldn't do anything dangerous due to a titanium plate and nine screws newly installed in his left hand. And Studio One Young Beast Society performed a song-and-dance called "No Plan B," which, as one dancer explained afterward, is all about not giving up hope and trusting in the Lord that everything will be OK. She never said so, but I think the not-so-hidden message was anti–emergency contraception. The only two acts that impressed me were Prince Poppycock and Fighting Gravity. The former, as expected, put on an elaborate and irreverent show, performing what I believe was a modified excerpt of The Barber of Seville. (I heard "figaro" a bunch of times, and the backdrop read "The Barber of Poppycock.") During the song, he suggestively wielded an oversize pair of scissors, though the castration joke probably went over quite a few heads. This was an audience that appreciated more overt genital humor, like when the bicyclist stopped short of a prostrate stagehand's crotch — or when, after performing a genuinely awesome dance under black light, Fighting Gravity explained that they formed at Virginia Tech to compete in a sorority competition. Said one member: "We don't play with our balls in the dark for nothing." They might not. But the rest of us? about 11 months ago • Report • Teresa Mac Link to article posted above: http://www.tbd.com/blogs/tbd-arts/2010/11/-america-s-got-talent-celebrates-the-afterlife-not-plan-b-4231.html about 11 months ago • Report • Teresa Mac http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-11-04/entertainment/os-cal-talent-20101104_1_jackie-evancho-variety-show-prince-poppycock about 11 months ago • Report • Doreen Sherrill Kowalczyk http://www.suite101.com/content/where-is-prince-poppycock-after-americas-got-talent-a304489 found this article today. at bottom of article is another link to article written before agt ended. about 11 months ago • Report • Teresa Mac An interview with Prince Poppycock Published: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 MILFORD-ORANGE BULLETIN By Jack Kealey Special to the Bulletin Photo by Laura Simon - Second grade student Jack Kealey had the opportunity to interview Prince Poppycock recently from the television show America’s Got Talent. Here he is conducting the interview. Editor’s Note: Bethany resident Second grader Jack Kealey had the unique opportunity to interview Prince Poppycock, one of the most popular stars of the TV show America’s Got Talent, when the touring show came to the Foxwoods MGM Grand Theater. Prince Poppycock has been internationally acclaimed for his unique artistry which blends elaborate baroque-inspired costumes with rock-to-opera songs and wildly creative, colorful stage acts. According to Jack: “It was exciting to meet him. Me, my mom, dad and grandma were taken to Prince Poppycock’s dressing room by a security guard and the tour manager. The Prince can be hard to completely describe. When you first meet him you see he is very tall, he has a deep white face, and his eyebrows are different colors – he looks like a fantasy human! His costumes were hanging all over the place. Two of his friends were there who helped him make his costumes and choose the fabric and designs for his acts. I sat down to interview him – he was super nice! And here is what he said.” Q How did you think of the name Prince Poppycock? A I really loved the word Poppycock for some time. There is a French philosopher named Albert Camus who talks about the absurdity of life – that it’s nonsense (i.e. “poppycock”) to try to find inherent meaning in life because life is absurd – so you have to create your own meaning. Sometimes life can be a little nonsensical but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t revel in the gifts that life has given you. And the word “Prince” just seemed to stick with the word “Poppycock.” Q When did you start singing? A I don’t’ remember a time when I didn’t’ sing. I sung in choirs when I was 8. When I was 11, I had my first professional job, as a soprano, at the Kennedy Center with the Washington Opera’s children choir. Q What is your favorite song to sing? A: That’s a difficult question – I don’t think I have a favorite. Let’s say the next one! Q How do you choose your costumes? A Most of the time the event or song I get to sing informs my costume choice – for example, this costume (looking at what he was wearing) became available after a friend picked it up at a costume sale and she bedazzled it! Q Who is your favorite teacher? A Growing up, it was Roberta Gasbarre – a drama teacher of mine. It was very important for me to follow my dreams at that time, and she encouraged that – the best teachers always inspire their students to follow their dreams. Q Do you have a favorite memory from second grade? A I remember raising a cricket in a little terrarium. I named him Luke Skywalker and loved him very much. Q Who inspired you the most? A So many people inspired me – I try to find inspiration everywhere – it’s hard to limit! Actually I find life itself, just that we’re alive to be inspiring. Q What is your favorite costume? A The next one! Q Were you shy as a kid? A My mom told me that I was shy. I grew up by myself, not many kids were around in my neighborhood. I would wander around streams – catch tadpoles – and walk around horse fields. I didn’t really grow up around other kids until high school. Q What is your favorite show or opera? A La Boheme is my favorite opera. Beautiful songs can be found everywhere, especially in opera. My favorite show –well, I like cartoons. I try to be one sometimes! (laughing) As part of the AGT show, Prince Poppycock also talks to the audience about how important it is to take action against hate and bullying. He refers to recent news events and says “there is a place for everyone in this world. A rainbow wouldn’t be a rainbow if it were missing a single color.” He urges the audience to donate to programs like The Trevor Project which provide life-affirming support for kids in need. about 11 months ago • Report • Teresa Mac From an article in today's The National Ledger: WINDOW DRESSING: With his "America's Got Talent" tour a wrap as of this past weekend, Prince Poppycock (nee John Quale) is turning his attention to a pile of potential gigs awaiting his attention -- including a possible residency stand in Las Vegas and a ...reality show in conjunction with it. What the harlequin-painted, white-wigged personage with the operatic vocal power knows for sure is, "I'm doing the Bergdorf Goodman Christmas windows this month, and I'm really excited about that." Get ready, New York. We can only imagine what that appearance might be like. Please note: you can cut and paste the links into your browser if they are not highlighted :)

http://reno.metromix.com/events/article/americas-got-talent-hits/2216862/content

'America's Got Talent' hits the Road | Metromix Reno
    reno.metromix.com
    Winners, finalists like Prince Poppycock here Saturday
    over a year ago • Report

Joy Manuel
    Hi again, Please put any Media articles that you find here.
    This way they will not get lost in the shuffle. :-)
    Thank you
    Joy
    over a year ago • Report

Diana Rodriguez-Zimmerer
    that's a great article!!
    over a year ago • Report

Joy Manuel
    Review: America’s Got Talent Live Opening Night
    http://alisongolden.com/americas-got-talent-live-opening-night
    over a year ago • Report

Diana Rodriguez-Zimmerer
    That reporter must have been some kind of stuffed right winger - saying the crowd was scary. We were not scary - we were enthusiastic! Who wants a stuffed up audience that doesn't express their love for the performers?! Trust me the performers want to be cheered on. Keep showing your love Poppies!
    over a year ago • Report

Joy Manuel
    'America's Got Talent' breaks from canned idols Monday, October 4, 2010
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=%2Fc%2Fa%2F2010%2F10%2F03%2FDDQ21FN8AV.DTL
    over a year ago • Report

Tiffany Rock
    The SF Gate article above is worth it just for this:

"He may get a different reception in Grand Prairie, Texas, next week, BUT THERE WAS NO DOUBT FROM THE STANDING OVATIONS WHO WAS FILLING THE SEATS IN OAKLAND." (Emphasis mine.)
    over a year ago • Report

Diane Schreiner
    «{ .SCENT of IRISE S. }» - http://scent-of-irises.blogspot.com/
    Maybe it will work this time.
    over a year ago • Report

Tiffany Rock
    "America's Got Talent Tour Comes to Phoenix":
    http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/events/articles/2010/10/04/20101004americas-got-talent-tour-comes-phoenix.html

It's basically all about the Prince (who also gets a nice picture) and Fighting Gravity.
    over a year ago • Report

Joy Manuel
    Thanks Tiffany, Great article. Poppy always gets good write-ups. :-)
    over a year ago • Report

Sarina Mizutani
    ookey... i know this is off topic, but the song 'i pop for poppycock' meant in a dirty way or...?
    over a year ago • Report

Karen Walters
    http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/realityrocks/399173/wanna-be-prince-poppycock-for-halloween/
    over a year ago • Report

Joy Manuel
    Karen thanks for posting that. :-)
    over a year ago • Report

Joy Manuel
    Here is another one that was posted... Just trying to keep up. :-)
    The future of Prince Poppycock
    http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-in-los-angeles/the-future-of-prince-poppycock
    over a year ago • Report

Karen Walters
    joy, i found this on 'official', so i added it here too. your post is vEry good! five parts filled with john's voice, (audio only vids) revealing even more of his personality and interesting facts about many things poppycock! ♥
    patrick posted all five parts moments ago on his page, and i'm floating in poppiness after hearing all our prince had to say!!
    over a year ago • Report

Teresa Mac
    The article Joy posted comes with an interview in 5 parts -- so worth listening to:

http://www.youtube.com/user/PCPassionistas#p/u/4/PSWoT8as-KI

Part 1: Creation of his Largo al Factotum act
    Part 2: Make-up challenges and secrets
    Part 3: His electronic music project and the dark side of John Quale
    Part 4: Upcoming projects, including planning a Vegas revue
    Part 5: His Facebook fans

over a year ago • Report

Diana Rodriguez-Zimmerer
    It is really worth listening to! I listened at work. loved it!
    over a year ago • Report

Clarissa Aguilar
    "Shoppers have visited George and Company in the Eastern Hills Mall in Clarence for elements of a Prince Poppycock costume, says Karen Noe, store manager. Poppycock, a brightly costumed operatic baroque dandy, placed fourth in this season of “America’s Got Talent.” Noe says, “I have the big Marie Antoinette wigs and the white-faced makeup” for the character."
    http://www.ladygagafashion.net/shes-our-boo-ghosts-goblins-give-way-to-gaga-buffalo-news/

over a year ago • Report

Sandie Dapoz
    Prince Poppycock to be crowned mayor of West Hollywood Halloween Carneval!

http://www.weho.org//index.aspx?page=23&recordid=444
    over a year ago • Report

Sandie Dapoz
    PRINCE POPPYCOCK TIMES SQUARE:

PRESS RELEASE:
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/a-knight-in-shining-latex-prince-poppycock-ends-his-spectacular-run-on-americas-got-talent-in-rubber-from-syren-couture-and-armor-from-michael-schmidt-studios-103085234.html
    over a year ago • Report

Sandie Dapoz
    Photo of Poppycock in Times Square!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1563378197339&set=t.122650284439330
    over a year ago • Report

Diane Schreiner
    Diane Thank-you Ron Allison, this is beautiful......

Prince Poppycock All 7 Performances America's Got Talent HD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFlZC1G7urs
    Complete All 7 AGT Performances - La Donna e Mobile - Largo al Factotum - Vesti La Guibba - Bohemian Rhapsody - Yankee Doodle Dandy - Nessun Dorma - Final - No Buzzer - Donna Summer in HD

This is here so everyone can view all his agt songs at once.

over a year ago • Report

Joy Manuel
    Great job Ladies, I love reading all of these. :-)
    over a year ago • Report

Diane Schreiner
    America’s Got Talent’ coming to Cobb Energy Centre Nov. 6; we talk to Prince Poppycock
    8:00 am October 29, 2010, by Rodney Ho

Viewers of NBC’s popular summer reality series “America’s Got Talent” over the years seem to prefer good old-fashioned singers, no matter how many wacky knife swallowers and magic acts the producers throw out there.

Within the singer category, they absolutely adore pop-opera acts. The 2008 winner was an opera singer. Last year, the runner-up was an opera singer. This past summer, two operatic performers landed in the top four.

One, 10-year-old Jackie Evancho, is a young prodigy with angelic vocal skills. (She unfortunately won’t be at the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center show Saturday featuring the top 10 acts. Given her age, her parents wanted her to spend less time on the road.)

But the other finalist, Prince Poppycock, went further than many people expected. Played by John Quale, an openly gay performing artist, the flamboyant character is a dandy who dons 18th century wigs and outfits and sings operettas with infectious fun, bravado and grace.

“I used to do my act for 20 somethings in Los Angeles,” said Quale in an interview earlier this month. “Now I’m doing it for blue-haired ladies in the Midwest who just love the act. They’ve been incredibly supportive. I wasn’t expecting that.”

On the tour, he’s been performing two six-minute acts: an extended version of Figaro’s aria from “The Barber of Seville” he did in his original “Talent” audition and Queen’s ”Bohemian Rhapsody” - minus the not-so-family-friendly line about killing a man.

Prince Poppycock, which Quale developed in 2006, has an entire back story: ”He is not from this world. He’s from another dimension. He’s kicked out of court by his arch-nemesis Baron Nefarious. Marauding space pirates pick him up and he learns to be a man, not a self-indulgent vain party boy.”

Quale did not intend to audition. His boyfriend signed him up. And he didn’t have expectations of getting far. “I had no idea how it would play out,” he said. “I felt like in the end, I bucked the trend. I’ve been more of an underground performance artist.”

To be more mainstream, he said he’s had to cut out the bawdier jokes but “given the resources at my disposal, I can fully realize my vision more.”

During the tour, he’s also been able to expound for a few moments about acceptance. And he credits show host Jerry Springer for allowing him to do that.

“I wanted him to do that,” said Springer in a separate phone interview. “He has a wonderful message. It’d be a waste just to laugh at his act and not realize it’s the tears of a clown.”

“I was a victim of hazing and bullying and homophobia growing up,” Quale said, in Virginia and Massachusetts.

“It’s very relevant to what’s going on now,” Springer added, alluding to some high-profile anti-gay crimes hitting the news recently.

After the tour, Quale hopes to create his own Vegas-style revue act with costume changes, props and a blend of classical and pop-rock music.

“I’m not going to talk about my sexuality in any of my performances,” he said. “I don’t think I ever will. I think it’s pretty obvious I’m a homosexual. I’ve never hidden that.”

about 12 months ago • Report

Diane Schreiner
    More on Prince Poppycocks' future;

Prince Poppycock's 'Whirlwind' Rise to Fame Leads to This: Mayor ...
    PopEater
    Yep, Poppycock -- real name, John Andrew Quale -- who won the hearts of ... for the oh-so-talented Prince Poppycock is "a Vegas residency -- 'The Poppycock ...

Sandie Dapoz
    Wigging Out: John Quale, a.k.a 'Prince Poppycock,' at DAR Constitution HallS
    John Quale expected to don geisha makeup and a powdered wig only once, as a favor to a friend with a Los Angeles performance group called Wig Out. The Washington, D.C., native never guessed that the stage persona Prince Poppycock would become a cult favorite of millions of viewers on NBC's "America's Got Talent" this summer — or that those viewers would help him become one of the season's four finalists.

"[I saw] something that I literally thought was just for a certain demographic and realized that it had a much broader appeal — as long as I stopped taking off my clothes and telling naughty jokes," Quale said while on tour with "America's Got Talent," which stops at DAR Constitution Hall Thursday.

Ahead of the show, Quale spoke to Express about Poppycock, opera and why he got involved with Dan Savage's "It Gets Better" online video project for LGBT youth.

Prince Poppycock blends rock and opera. How did your opera training help shape your performances?
    I think [opera probably taught me] dedication and just the amount of work and focus that's required to make [performing] look effortless.

How do you think being a finalist on "America's Got Talent" has affected your career?
    The judges were obviously very nice to me, but it's pretty unfair how in the rules we're treated as contestants, not performers. ... But it's definitely been absolutely amazing because it's millions and millions of dollars worth of free advertising.

How did you get involved with Dan Savage's "It Gets Better" project?
    I was fairly depressed and suicidal for a good 10 years, from about 12 to 22, and I understand what it's like to see suicide as a viable option. ... But I also know that I just want to spread the news to [gay] kids that ... we can control our own future and create our own destinies.

» DAR Constitution Hall, 1776 D St. NW; Thu., 7:30 p.m., $49.85-$112.90; 202-628-4780 . (Farragut North)

Written by Express contributor Roxana Hadadi

Sandie Dapoz
    from www.expressnightout.com

Diane Schreiner
    Good article about our HRN.......

Where is Prince Poppycock After America's Got Talent?
    Prince Poppycock is a character created by John Andrew Quale. John grew up in Virginia on a farm where he loved riding horses. He sang all the time and was a member of many choirs as a child. He first performed with one of his choirs at ...
    Suite101: Celebrities/Pop Culture... - http://www.suite101.com/celebrities

Teresa Mac
    From a DC publication:

America's Got Talent tour celebrates the afterlife, not Plan B
    November 5, 2010 - 12:07 PM

By Ryan Kearney (Twitter @rkearney)

Prince Poppycock, in all his glory and innuendo. (Photo: TBD Staff)

The America's Got Talent tour must be a hot ticket — or its promoter had zero interest in media coverage — because I had an easier time getting a meeting with the Dalai Lama in 2003 than I did getting into last night's show at DAR Constitution Hall. Were it not for a family friend who happened to give birth to Great Falls native Prince Poppycock, I would have been deprived of all of the unbridled patriotism and religiosity and manufactured fog that the night, so loud and brightly lit, had to offer.

The audience was America itself — that is, if there were no 15-to-35-year-olds in America, and if the country were entirely white. So maybe it was only the America seen in certain political ads and laundry detergent commercials. But now, at least, I know who watches America's Got Talent, the NBC show that embodies the most American of American dreams: that anyone in this country can rise from obscurity to fame, however briefly. Of course, only a few of us ever will, and only one can win the $1 million grand prize, which (fine print alert!) amounts to a lump sum of around $375,000. Most of us will fail, and we will be laughed at on national TV for having failed, and thus we'll feel more dejected for ever having tried in the first place.

But last night was not a time for cynicism. It was a celebration of moderate success, of dreams coming true (only if you work hard), and of belief in a higher power. Christina & Ali, one of the evening's 10 acts, are sweet Mormon sisters with a truly heartbreaking story: Ages 20 and 13, they both have cystic fibrosis, a disease from which their older sister died last year. Together they sang a song called "Temporary Home," about how Earth is just that — a place through which we all pass on our way to somewhere greater. Even an atheist like me can understand why they'd feel that way.

So that was kind of sad. Good thing the night's master of ceremonies, Jerry Springer, was there to cheer us up. Playing the stand-up comedian, he made a joke about how America's got talent but, apparently, doesn't have any decent judges (AGT judge Howie Mandel is Canadian, and the other two, Piers Morgan and Sharon Osbourne, are British). At another point, he said, "I've been doing my show for 20 years, and I'm sorry. There's no excuse for that." By the end, when Springer began singing Elvis — "Just Call Me Lonesome," I believe — the middle-aged women around me shouted "Give him the hook!" One of them even said, "I hate that guy, I really do."

But the acts, the acts! Two kids whirled about like Olympic Russian dancers. Taylor Mathews looked and sang exactly how a teenager named Taylor Mathews should look and sing. A magician performed magic that relied visibly on not-so-magical mirrors. Bluesman Michael Grimm, this season's winner, sounded like he'd smoked a carton of reds since breakfast. A 10-year-old dressed like a 40-year-old sang opera amidst a sea of stage fog. A guy hopped around on his bike, but couldn't do anything dangerous due to a titanium plate and nine screws newly installed in his left hand. And Studio One Young Beast Society performed a song-and-dance called "No Plan B," which, as one dancer explained afterward, is all about not giving up hope and trusting in the Lord that everything will be OK. She never said so, but I think the not-so-hidden message was anti–emergency contraception.

The only two acts that impressed me were Prince Poppycock and Fighting Gravity. The former, as expected, put on an elaborate and irreverent show, performing what I believe was a modified excerpt of The Barber of Seville. (I heard "figaro" a bunch of times, and the backdrop read "The Barber of Poppycock.") During the song, he suggestively wielded an oversize pair of scissors, though the castration joke probably went over quite a few heads. This was an audience that appreciated more overt genital humor, like when the bicyclist stopped short of a prostrate stagehand's crotch — or when, after performing a genuinely awesome dance under black light, Fighting Gravity explained that they formed at Virginia Tech to compete in a sorority competition. Said one member: "We don't play with our balls in the dark for nothing."

They might not. But the rest of us?

about 11 months ago • Report

Teresa Mac
    Link to article posted above:

http://www.tbd.com/blogs/tbd-arts/2010/11/-america-s-got-talent-celebrates-the-afterlife-not-plan-b-4231.html
    • Teresa Mac
    http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-11-04/entertainment/os-cal-talent-20101104_1_jackie-evancho-variety-show-prince-poppycock

Doreen Sherrill Kowalczyk
    http://www.suite101.com/content/where-is-prince-poppycock-after-americas-got-talent-a304489

found this article today. at bottom of article is another link to article written before agt ended.

Teresa Mac
    An interview with Prince Poppycock
    Published: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 MILFORD-ORANGE BULLETIN
    By Jack Kealey
    Special to the Bulletin

Photo by Laura Simon - Second grade student Jack Kealey had the opportunity to interview Prince Poppycock recently from the television show America’s Got Talent.

Here he is conducting the interview.

Editor’s Note: Bethany resident Second grader Jack Kealey had the unique opportunity to interview Prince Poppycock, one of the most popular stars of the TV show America’s Got Talent, when the touring show came to the Foxwoods MGM Grand Theater. Prince Poppycock has been internationally acclaimed for his unique artistry which blends elaborate baroque-inspired costumes with rock-to-opera songs and wildly creative, colorful stage acts.

According to Jack: “It was exciting to meet him. Me, my mom, dad and grandma were taken to Prince Poppycock’s dressing room by a security guard and the tour manager. The Prince can be hard to completely describe. When you first meet him you see he is very tall, he has a deep white face, and his eyebrows are different colors – he looks like a fantasy human! His costumes were hanging all over the place. Two of his friends were there who helped him make his costumes and choose the fabric and designs for his acts. I sat down to interview him – he was super nice! And here is what he said.”

Q How did you think of the name Prince Poppycock?

A I really loved the word Poppycock for some time. There is a French philosopher named Albert Camus who talks about the absurdity of life – that it’s nonsense (i.e. “poppycock”) to try to find inherent meaning in life because life is absurd – so you have to create your own meaning. Sometimes life can be a little nonsensical but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t revel in the gifts that life has given you. And the word “Prince” just seemed to stick with the word “Poppycock.”

Q When did you start singing?

A I don’t’ remember a time when I didn’t’ sing. I sung in choirs when I was 8. When I was 11, I had my first professional job, as a soprano, at the Kennedy Center with the Washington Opera’s children choir.

Q What is your favorite song to sing?

A: That’s a difficult question – I don’t think I have a favorite. Let’s say the next one!

Q How do you choose your costumes?

A Most of the time the event or song I get to sing informs my costume choice – for example, this costume (looking at what he was wearing) became available after a friend picked it up at a costume sale and she bedazzled it!

Q Who is your favorite teacher?

A Growing up, it was Roberta Gasbarre – a drama teacher of mine. It was very important for me to follow my dreams at that time, and she encouraged that – the best teachers always inspire their students to follow their dreams.

Q Do you have a favorite memory from second grade?

A I remember raising a cricket in a little terrarium. I named him Luke Skywalker and loved him very much.

Q Who inspired you the most?

A So many people inspired me – I try to find inspiration everywhere – it’s hard to limit! Actually I find life itself, just that we’re alive to be inspiring.

Q What is your favorite costume?

A The next one!

Q Were you shy as a kid?

A My mom told me that I was shy. I grew up by myself, not many kids were around in my neighborhood. I would wander around streams – catch tadpoles – and walk around horse fields. I didn’t really grow up around other kids until high school.

Q What is your favorite show or opera?

A La Boheme is my favorite opera. Beautiful songs can be found everywhere, especially in opera. My favorite show –well, I like cartoons. I try to be one sometimes! (laughing)

As part of the AGT show, Prince Poppycock also talks to the audience about how important it is to take action against hate and bullying. He refers to recent news events and says “there is a place for everyone in this world. A rainbow wouldn’t be a rainbow if it were missing a single color.” He urges the audience to donate to programs like The Trevor Project which provide life-affirming support for kids in need.

Teresa Mac
    From an article in today's The National Ledger:

WINDOW DRESSING:

With his "America's Got Talent" tour a wrap as of this past weekend, Prince Poppycock (nee John Quale) is turning his attention to a pile of potential gigs awaiting his attention -- including a possible residency stand in Las Vegas and a ...reality show in conjunction with it. What the harlequin-painted, white-wigged personage with the operatic vocal power knows for sure is, "I'm doing the Bergdorf Goodman Christmas windows this month, and I'm really excited about that." Get ready, New York. We can only imagine what that appearance might be like.

Please note: you can cut and paste the links into your browser if they are not highlighted smile

Add your message - It will be added as the newest post